On this episode, your host Gavin McCulley interviews fellow angel investor Alicia Syrett. Alicia is the founder and CEO of Pantegrion Capital and a very active and engaged angel investor in the New York startup ecosystem. She is also on the Board of Directors of NY Angels and Golden Seeds. As a former entrepreneur and CAO of multi-billion dollar hedge fund and private equity firms, Alicia has a burning passion for building and growing businesses.
Listen in as Alicia shares her journey to becoming an angel investor, as well her unparalleled level of active involvement in the startups she invests in. Learn about what gets Alicia excited about a company and its founder and how she decides whether or not to take a chance on them. Don’t miss this episode’s priceless advice on the dos and don’ts of pitching investors!
Listen To The Full Interview:
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- Alicia’s background and journey to angel investing.
- Alicia’s personal preferences for investing and involvement with startups.
- The importance of balancing the number of active and passive investors.
- Elements of a great pitch.
- Why conveying emotion during your pitch is important to landing an investor.
- Alicia’s biggest pitch pet peeves.
- Why you should not volunteer a top-down market analysis during a pitch.
- Details you might want to leave out during a pitch.
- Why you should always continue nurturing relationships with your investors.
Featured On The Show:
- What Every Angel Investor Wants You to Know: An Insider Reveals How to Get Smart Funding for Your Billion Dollar Idea by Brian Cohen and John Kador
- The Pitch Deck Facebook Page
- New York Angels
- Fred Wilson’s blog
- Brad Feld’s blog
- Angel Financing for Entrepreneurs: Early-Stage Funding for Long-Term Success by Susan L. Preston
If you have questions about investing, early-stage capital raising, investor relationship and due diligence, post your question on The Pitch Deck Facebook Page. In our future episodes, we will read your questions and get feedback from our featured guests.