Jason Mendelson is a co-founder of Foundry Group, an early-stage venture capital firm located in Boulder, Colorado. In his previous life, he has been a managing director at Mobius Venture Capital, a lawyer at Cooley LLP and a software engineer at Accenture. He also co-founded Shareholder Representative Services. In addition to his investing career Jason has co-written the book Venture Deals, Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer and Venture Capitalist and is an adjunct professor at the University of Colorado Law School where he teaches a course on venture capital. Jason is also the Chairman of the Entrepreneurial Board at Silicon Flatirons.
I invited Jason on the show to talk about the his experience as a venture capitalist and a partner of Foundry Group. On this episode, we get into what it truly means to have a relationship between a founder and an investor and how to tell if you’re a good match for each other. Jason also shares his philosophy on pitches, how to create the right pitch deck for your business and an important emelent that trumps any well-polished presentation. Don’t miss this insightful episode that is sure to get your gears turning. Grab a notebook and a pen and get ready to take some notes!
Listen To The Full Interview:
What You’ll Learn From This Episode:
- Why the Foundry Group invests in startups of all stages.
- What the companies they invest in can expect with the Foundry Group.
- How a first meeting between a VC and an entrepreneur is similar to a first date.
- Jason’s tips for creating a successful pitch deck based on your filed.
- The importance of having an engaging discussion with an investor about your product.
- The main reason why startups fail.
Featured On The Show:
- The Foundry Group
- Jason Mendelson: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Business Law by Constance E. Bagley and Craig E. Dauchy
- Venture Deals: Be Smarter Than Your Lawyer and Venture Capitalist by Brad Feld and Jason Mendelson
If you have questions about investing, early-stage capital raising, investor relationship and due diligence, post your question on The Pitch Deck Facebook Page. In our future episodes, we will read your questions and get feedback from our featured guests.